TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Martial agent hits out at Man Utd after contract option triggeredby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveThe agent of Anthony Martial has taken aim at Manchester United over their contract negotiations.United have taken the option to extend Martial’s current contract by one year, tying the Frenchman to Old Trafford until 2020. But talks over a new five-year contract have so far proved fruitless.It is understood Martial is keen to remain at Old Trafford but his agent Philippe Lamboley has now revealed the club have much to do if they want to keep the player in the long-term.“I am very pessimistic about discussions going positively,” Lamboley told RMC Sport.“They’ve already made several offers that come nowhere near to what we expect.”
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Squad depth key to Everton success says Richarlisonby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveRicharlison believes Everton’s squad depth will benefit their success.The 21-year-old has rotated between striker and winger this season.”Marco Silva trusts the players and we really trust in him,” said the Brazilian. “There has to be some rotation given tiredness, the amount of games in December – it is busy.”We need some respite, but that creates opportunities for other players to go on the field and send a message. [Strength in depth] is essential for the team.”Dom is a great player and helps out loads up front. He holds up the ball really well and scores goals.”He is still very young so there is room to develop. But I think he will be really important in helping us out for the rest of the season.”
Klopp not angry after Liverpool almost blow three-goal lead against RB Salzburgby Freddie Taylor23 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveJurgen Klopp insists he wasn’t angry after Liverpool blew a three-goal lead against RB Salzburg.Goals from Sadio Mane, Andy Robertson and Mohamed Salah gave Liverpool a comfortable lead after 36 minutes.Hwang Hee-Chee grabbed one back from the visitors on 39 minutes, and Takumi Minamino’s volley reduced the deficit further shortly after half-time.Substitute Erling Braut Haaland tapped in an equaliser five minutes later.However, Salah popped up for his second on the 69 minute mark to save Liverpool’s blushes. And Klopp was pleased his side didn’t give up all three points.He told BT Sport: “It’s better to learn the lessons during the game than talk about it after it.”I thought we were outstanding in the first 30 minutes, then the Salzburg system changed and we lost the ball so that caused us problems.”The momentum changed and it was really difficult to get a foot in the game. We had to wait until they had scored the third goal, then we were able to strike back.”I’m not angry – I saw us play really well and try hard to get back into the game and score a really nice goal. You don’t need to score six or seven goals.”[Salzburg] are a good side but the first 30 minutes we made it really difficult for them and played outstanding.”I told the boys they want to enjoy the whole night and they will fight back.”This is group is really difficult but we wanted the three points and now it’s game on.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
McShayESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay appeared on Scott Van Pelt’s late-night SportsCenter following the first round Thursday night. Of course, McShay, SVP and NFL insider Mark Dominik discussed the Laremy Tunsil fiasco. For those who missed it, a video of the Ole Miss offensive tackle apparently smoking marijuana with a gas mask on was tweeted out from his account about an hour before the draft. Photos of a DM conversation between Tunsil and an Ole Miss staffer were then posted on his Instagram page; the conversation shows Tunsil asking for money and the staffer agreeing to it. Tunsil, picked No. 13 by the Miami Dolphins, then admitted to getting money from an Ole Miss coach in his draft press conference. McShay had multiple points about Tunsil, but one of them was questioning why he’d “sell out” his Ole Miss coaches, especially when Hugh Freeze was standing by his side through draft night. From Barstool Sports:McShay has been getting crushed on social media for his comments, specifically the “selling out” part.Todd McShay just called out Laremy Tunsil for being honest under some B.S. code to Ole Miss. McShay is paid by a media company. Remarkable.— Richard Deitsch (@richarddeitsch) April 29, 2016From Deadspin: McShay—just the type of pundit to rip a player for not standing up and taking questions after a heartbreaking loss—thinks the mature thing to do was for Tunsil to duck reporters after a news-breaking controversy. He also thinks the crime here wasn’t 46-year-old Hugh Freeze and his Ole Miss staff paying the “immature” Tunsil in violation of NCAA rules, but instead Tunsil admitting it had happened. This Laremy Tunsil shitshow is great because it has allowed the dolts of the NFL to show their ass*s, while the nominal subject of this controversy didn’t do anything wrong. Or, to put it another way, the guy videotaped smoking a gas mask bong under a Confederate flag is more mature than Todd McShay.More reaction: I don’t know who the biggest idiot is in the Tunsil situation is, but Todd McShay ranks near the top of the list— Andrew Reid (@unansweredpoint) April 29, 2016 Todd McShay is an idiot.— Andres (@dretre91) April 29, 2016 @McShay13 Laremy didn’t throw his coaches under the bus. Just mentioned the truth. Quit protecting a corrupt SEC team.— OTC Skull and Bones (@10baggersallday) April 29, 2016Not everyone disagrees with him, though.I couldn’t agree with @McShay13 on the Tunsil situation any more. He ratted on the people who helped him most at ole miss.— Daniel Almon (@dalmon33) April 29, 2016@McShay13 media ‘bs’ you did nothing wrong by speaking the truth, good job,keep it up— brody (@Online4Shoes) April 29, 2016@McShay13 Todd, I thought it was great how you called Tunsil immature for being honest and contrite in a tough spot. Keep up the good work.— Daniel Corson (@d_corson) April 29, 2016Was McShay right or wrong?
ESPN FPI ESPNCollege football season will be here in less than two months. If you’re looking for a quick primer on which teams are the favorites to take home the hardware in 2016, we’ve got you covered.ESPN’s FPI, which, according to the network, is a “measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team’s performance going forward for the rest of the season”, predicts that Florida State will be tops this year. The Seminoles are projected to win 10.6 games, despite having the nation’s third-hardest schedule.LSU, Oklahoma, Clemson and Tennessee round out the rest of the top five. Alabama, last year’s national champion, comes in at No. 6. Here’s the top 25:1. Florida State 2. LSU 3. Oklahoma 4. Clemson 5. Tennessee 6. Alabama 7. Ole Miss 8. Oklahoma State 9. USC 10. Georgia 11. Michigan 12. UCLA 13. Washington 14. Texas A&M 15. Ohio State 16. Louisville 17. Auburn 18. Florida 19. Notre Dame 20. North Carolina 21. Stanford 22. Baylor 23. Texas 24. Pittsburgh 25. ArkansasIf you’d like to see where all 128 teams rank, head on over to ESPN. Only time will tell how accurate their rankings turn out to be.
Twitter/@CollegeGameDayAn LSU cheap shot may wind up marring what was one of the best games of an excellent first college football Saturday.D’Cota Dixon recorded a huge interception off of LSU quarterback Brandon Harris, and in the process, sealed a massive win for the Badgers. After the play, he was decked by Tigers lineman Josh Boutte, who was penalized and ejected for the hit. There’s a chance he thought the play was still live, but based on how Dixon was celebrating the interception, that seems extremely unlikely.brutal cheap shot by 76 pic.twitter.com/V9Mh4aifaX— Danny (@recordsANDradio) September 3, 2016Flagrant personal foul on this hit. #SidelineCam https://t.co/w4I8sGOnaN— College GameDay (@CollegeGameDay) September 3, 2016LSU drove down from its own 25 to the Wisconsin 35, but with 57 seconds remaining in the game, Harris was picked off by Dixon at the Wisconsin 25. Minutes before, Wisconsin took the 16-14 lead over the Tigers on a Rafael Gaglianone 47-yard field goal.You simply can’t watch this D’Cota Dixon game-sealing INT enough.More video ➡ https://t.co/3s22f8TiDr https://t.co/taL2BhbHgf— Big Ten Network (@BigTenNetwork) September 3, 2016The win gives the unranked Badgers a win over LSU, the No. 5 team in the country, and one that many thought would challenge Alabama for the top of the SEC West.The Badgers jumped out to a 13-0 lead early, but LSU closed the gap very quickly with a pair of turnovers by Tre’Davious White and a few nice passes from Harris. Ultimately, with two interceptions, he’ll be the scapegoat for this one.Corey Clement rushed for 86 yards on 21 carries, and scored the Badgers’ lone touchdown of the game. Gaglianone converted on all three of his field goal attempts, including the eventual game-winner.
Romelu Lukaku has revealed he would jump at the chance to work with Antonio Conte at Inter, labelling the Italian the “best coach in the world” while hinting that he has made a decision over his future.Lukaku has been at Manchester United for two seasons since sealing a move from Everton under Jose Mourinho in the summer of 2017. But he has struggled to make a name for himself at Old Trafford despite scoring 42 goals in 96 appearances and during his time with the Reds. Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? His record against the biggest teams in England and Europe has come under particular scrutiny, while United are looking to rebuild this summer following a torrid campaign in 2018-19. Inter has emerged as a strong possibility for his next destination, and it is a move that Lukaku approves – not least because of the identity of their new coach. “Well, Conte has gone to Inter, for me he is the best coach in the world,” the Belgium international signalled to Sportmediaset.”With regards to my future, I have already made a decision that I still cannot reveal publicly, out of respect to Manchester United with whom I still have a contract.” Lukaku went on to reveal his admiration for the Italian top flight, pointing to a string of high-profile recent arrivals to suggest it was a league on the rise. “I am a big Serie A fan, those close to me know that I have always wanted to play in the English league and in the Italian: I love Italy,” he added. “And then Cristiano Ronaldo arrived, [Maurizio] Sarri is going to Juventus, [Carlo] Ancelotti will be at Napoli: Serie A will be exciting.”My club and agent will talk about [the transfer bid], but my mind is made up. “I have a contract with Manchester United, it is up to them to decide. I will speak to the club and my agent to make the best decision. In any case, I am sure that it will be a very busy summer.”
Wayne Rooney is leaving MLS, and D.C. United is hoping to make his final season in the league a successful one. As if the club hadn’t made that obvious enough with the moves made ahead of the league’s transfer deadline, general manager Dave Kasper has now come right out and said it. With United having landed forwards Ola Kamara and Emmanuel Boateng and added midfielder Felipe, three MLS veterans, over the course of the last week, Kasper says it’s time to focus in on the closing run of the season and a potential tilt at the MLS Cup title. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? “This being Wayne’s last year, we want to finish strong and make a deep run,” Kasper said to MLSsoccer.com. “Wayne knows what lies with his future, his teammates know what lies with the future and the group collectively can say ‘Listen, we’re now in the final stretch, we know who we are, what we have, especially with the new additions. Let’s get to work and let’s compete for a trophy this year.'” Rooney’s move back to England at the end of the season caught many people off guard, but he’s not the only transfer target in United’s ranks. Midfielder Luciano Acosta has been linked with a move away from MLS in recent windows, with PSG having come close to his signature last winter before the deal fell through. The 25-year-old’s contract runs out at the end of the season, and Kasper says the club is prepared to listen to offers for their star playmaker. “I think there’s flexibility with that,” Kasper said via phone. “If he does move in the European window, or any league that has a window that extends beyond ours in Major League Soccer, we will be prepared for it. If he stays, we’ll have him as an option to make a deep run in the playoffs.” Making the playoffs will be the first job for United. The club currently sits fifth in the Eastern Conference with the top seven teams earning a playoff place. The capital club is just four points clear of eighth-place Toronto and has been struggling through a poor run of form, picking up just one win in its last seven outings.
Barcelona new boy Frenkie de Jong believes Donny van de Beek is more than good enough to link up with Real Madrid, but would prefer not to see a former Ajax team-mate join him in Spain just yet.The Netherlands international has already trodden the path from the Eredivisie to La Liga this summer.De Jong agreed a big-money switch to Camp Nou in January, before seeing Matthijs de Ligt opt against following his lead by choosing to link up with Serie A champions Juventus. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Van de Beek is the latest Ajax star to have generated transfer talk, with the 22-year-old midfielder admitting to registering on the recruitment radar of those at the Santiago Bernabeu.De Jong is not surprised by the interest, telling ESPN FC: “I would prefer him to stay at Ajax because I wouldn’t have him as an opponent and Ajax would stay strong.“But, no, of course, when it’s all settled, and if he moves to Madrid, I am really happy for him. I think he deserves it. He’s a great player. Then I will go see him in Spain!”Were Van de Beek to make a move to Madrid, then he would join a squad that already includes World Cup winner Toni Kroos and Ballon d’Or holder Luka Modric.While competition for places would be fierce, De Jong believes a former colleague would hold his own.He added: “I am pretty sure he has the ability.“I think he showed it last season in the Champions League, especially in the knockout rounds.“I think he has shown to the world and everyone in Europe he has the ability to play at that level.”Ajax would be reluctant sellers were Van de Beek to make his way out of Amsterdam, with the Dutch giants seeing an exciting young squad broken up.They made the semi-finals of the Champions League last season, with De Jong admitting it is sad to see a squad with so much promise forced apart as top talent is cherry-picked by leading sides across Europe.He added, with there no regrets on his part at having left the Dutch title winners: “I am really proud of the season we had and I am proud to see guys making big movements – I think they all deserve it.“But of course I feel a bit sad – not that I regret it because I am really proud and happy to be [at Barcelona] – but of course it’s a bit sad that the team is breaking up.“But you know that those things are going to happen when you have a season like that at a club like Ajax. It’s just the way it is.”
(Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)A college football recruit shared a horrible text message he received from an apparent reporter in regards to an injury he suffered.Damon Ward, a three-star wide receiver committed to North Texas, shared the text message on Twitter without identifying the name of the reporter.The text message was in regards to an injury Ward suffered, with the reporter saying he doubts the wideout will ever be the same.Check it out:See you in Denton. ? pic.twitter.com/8PHFllY0Kl— Ward Jr. (@TheDamonWardJr) November 1, 2018Clearly, that’s not the kind of message a reporter should be sending a subject.Wow, that’s awful. There is absolutely no place for this. https://t.co/vI8TynpP7N— Jason Howell (@Jason_Howell) November 1, 2018Ward, a 6-foot wide receiver, is ranked the No. 175 WR in the class by 247Sports’ Composite Rankings.Here’s to him showing that reporter wrong and recovering from the injury as quickly as possible.